Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has praised Mason Greenwood’s finishing as ‘exceptional’ after his equalising goal against West Ham.
Greenwood dug United out of a tough spot after we went in 1-0 down at half-time against the Hammers.
He latched onto a pass from Anthony Martial early in the second half and smashed the ball low into the net.
This was Greenwood’s 17th goal of the season in all competitions, an impressive record for the teenager.
Solskjaer praised Greenwood after the game and told the club website: “
There’ll be more games for him. He’ll score more and hopefully we’ll have five more games and I’m sure that if he plays five games he’ll score more.
You expect it from him, when he’s in and around the box you expect him to hit the target. One was blocked today by the defender, Ogbonna, and the other one he scored with, so we just have to keep teeing him up and giving him opportunities.
“What he did today, he’s done it time and time again. Every time he finishes, you can see he’s an exceptional finisher. It’s no surprise when he hits the back of the net as he’s that good a finisher.”
Season not done yet
Solskjaer clearly believes in Greenwood after making him a key part of Manchester United’s squad this season.
Since the lockdown he has started nearly every game and has netted five goals for United.
He is beginning to create a habit of scoring goals at crucial times too, netting an equaliser against Bournemouth three weeks ago.
The difference this time was that there was not a second goal from him to go with it.
That day many of Greenwood’s teammates were also hitting top form, the same could not be said of the match at Old Trafford against West Ham.
Too many of them looked tired and off their game, and this has to be a concern for United with one game to go.
United do sit in third after the result, after Chelsea lost to Liverpool.
But this is no time for complacency with the final game away at Leicester City, who sit one point below us. Everybody needs to be at the top of their games on Sunday.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice