Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looked delighted as Manchester United’s players eased to a convincing win at home to Sheffield United.
But there was one moment where he visibly looked frustrated, as Marcus Rashford mis-kicked his effort on the counter attack, and a chance went begging.
United were 1-0 up at the time, and could have doubled the lead with just 19 minutes gone.
Instead it took until the 44th minute for United to score a second, and from which we could start to feel more comfortable.
Solskjaer wanted United to be three or four up by this point, and it was not an unreasonable request given how we dominated the game.
Speaking after the match, Solskjaer told the club website he wants to see United be more clinical, and put teams away earlier.
He said: “We played some fantastic football at times. We should have been out of sight earlier.
“That’s the one criticism that I can come with: that we don’t go into half-time with a 100 per cent feeling that this is finished.”
Thumbs up for duo
One of the big positives from the performance was the way Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba worked together.
Supported ably by an excellent Nemanja Matic, United’s two creative dynamos got to work, and started to unpick Sheffield United’s defence.
In 79 minutes on the pitch together, Pogba managed 89 touches and Fernandes 73.
If teams are serious about trying to stop them, they cannot afford them to enjoy so much time on the ball.
Solskjaer said he is excited to work with the two players, who can still get so much better together, with Pogba’s need to improve his match sharpness cited as one factor.
He said: “Paul is still a bit away from his best form which is natural because that’s his first start since September and he’s been working hard, so hopefully there is more to come.
“I thought Bruno showed some quality in the game and it’s exciting to be working with talent like this.”
It is exciting to watch for supporters too, and if this is what the rest of the season is going to be like, then bring it on.
- Victor Lindelof was not pictured in United training on Monday amid injury worry
- Fresh Jadon Sancho could help Manchester United start next season in style
- Harvey Neville signs professional Manchester United deal
- New Matic contract can help persuade Pogba to renew his United deal
- The stats which show Jack Grealish can be a top asset for Manchester United
- For Bruno Fernandes even to be compared to Eric Cantona is quite special
- Solskjaer says Matic is ‘hugely ambitious’ as he signs new United deal
- Solskjaer says he expects Martial and Rashford to both kick on now
- Who is reported Manchester United target Facundo Pellistri?