Solskjaer explains his final words to Manchester United's players ahead of Villarreal game
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer conducted a farewell interview before he departed Manchester United.
It was a surprise move, and a classy touch from the Norwegian to bow out with grace amid the team’s poor form.
Speaking to the club website, Solskjaer explained that he addressed the players one final time to say goodbye.
Solskjaer said he had advice for them all heading into this week’s Champions League game with Villarreal.
He said: “As I’ve said to them this morning as well, trust yourselves, you know we’re better than this. We’ve not been able to show it but go out, chest out, enjoy being a Man United player, Champions League, the biggest stage.
“If and when you win the game, you’re through to the next round, Michael [Carrick] is going to be in charge. Michael, I have the utmost respect [for], I love Michael to bits. I’m becoming emotional now because he’s top, they’ll be fine. I’ll watch them and support them.”
A painful farewell
It is clear from watching Solskjaer’s interview that he is devastated by the way the last few months have panned out.
Solskjaer appeared teary eyed and genuinely sad about having to leave his post.
He spoke about the fine margins which saw United miss out on the Europa League, and his high moments against PSG.
He also made clear he would be on hand for the club if they needed him in any capacity, even as a pitchside TV analyst.
We clearly have not seen the last of Solskjaer at Old Trafford, and Patrice Evra even told him that he would look forward to seeing him in the team’s next home fixture against Arsenal in a fortnight’s time.
With Michael Carrick taking charge this week, United won’t see an overhaul, but a gradual transition away from Solskjaer.
United are looking for an interim boss, before appointing a permanent Solskjaer successor last summer.
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season
- Ajax star who just quit tips Manchester United transfer target to leave for big fee
- 'New Neymar' is the player Manchester United should be signing this summer
- Picture: De Jong mocked up in Manchester United kit by Spanish press as Red Devils' deal deadline suggested