Sergio Romero deserved better treatment from Manchester United this summer
It’s not hard to see that Manchester United have too many senior goalkeepers.
As soon as it became clear that Dean Henderson would come back and battle for the number one jersey, Sergio Romero wasn’t going to get a look-in.
No wonder his wife Eliana Guercio was furious with the way United have treated him this summer – he deserves better.
Romero has never let United down. He has been second choice through David de Gea’s patchy form but didn’t kick up a fuss or demand to be first choice.
As Guercio pointed out on Instagram on Monday, Romero was between the sticks the last time United lifted a trophy – the 2017 Europa League.
And he was dropped at the semi-final stages of the EFL Cup, FA Cup and Europa League last season.
United lost all three of those ties, with de Gea’s abject display in the 3-1 Wembley loss to Chelsea likely to be especially galling for Romero.
But Guercio’s social media post was the first sign of any unrest from Romero. He remained professional throughout and deserved a swift, dignified exit from Old Trafford this summer.
Comparisons between Liverpool and United are generally antagonistic these days.
But Dejan Lovren and Adam Lallana were granted early moves and warm send-offs from Anfield this summer when they found themselves surplus to requirements like Romero is now.
He has now been left out of United’s Champions League group stage squad, along with Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo.
The Daily Mail report he is eyeing a move to MLS before their transfer window closes on 29 October.
Hopefully he gets one and he can play regular football for the rest of his career. His treatment at United has been disrespectful this summer and he deserved far better.
- 'Watch Love Island instead': Six worst/funniest reviews left by Manchester United fans on Paul Pogba's documentary
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season