While Dan James has struggled to get going for Manchester United this season, he shone on international duty last night.
The winger netted a stunning goal and bagged an impressive assist as Wales beat Finland 3-1 to earn Nations League promotion.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will hope that display means James returns to United full of confidence.
United legend Roy Keane touched on James’s struggles when analysing his display for ITV’s Nations League Highlights Show (19/11, 12:18am).
“[It’s] great to see James getting his confidence back after a difficult spell at United,” said Keane.
On James’s assist to set up Kieffer Moore’s goal, Keane added: “Nothing wrong with it, keep it simple. I definitely think he’s had an issue with some confidence over the last few months.
“Great to see him back there with a spring in his step. He’ll certainly go back to United hopefully in a better frame of mind.”
Keane’s assessment of James is fair. He has looked low on confidence for a while now, and has struggled to replicate the form he showed in his early United games.
But last night was a big step in the right direction.
He had four shots – only Gareth Bale took more from either team – two of which were on target, including that wonder goal.
His assist was one of two key passes on the night and he whipped in three accurate crosses (which was the most of any player involved) as he was WhoScored’s star man.
As Keane says, hopefully that means he returns to United with greater confidence, ready to bring his international form to the club game.
- Odion Ighalo extension may look odd, but at the time it made sense
- Pellistri was given glimpse of possible United debut and he must use it as motivation
- Bruno Fernandes nominated for Champions League player of the week
- Manchester United sign Morecambe youngster Jack Kingdon
- Alejandro Garnacho stars in Manchester United under-17 win
- Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford made position changes look easy
- Dylan Levitt’s loan spell is not going too well
- Bruno Fernandes’ value is soaring after another tremendous display
- Marcus Rashford sets Manchester United club record