Roy Keane impressed with Dan James's international performance
While Dan James has struggled to get going for Manchester United this season, he shone on international duty last night.
The winger netted a stunning goal and bagged an impressive assist as Wales beat Finland 3-1 to earn Nations League promotion.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will hope that display means James returns to United full of confidence.
United legend Roy Keane touched on James’s struggles when analysing his display for ITV’s Nations League Highlights Show (19/11, 12:18am).
“[It’s] great to see James getting his confidence back after a difficult spell at United,” said Keane.
On James’s assist to set up Kieffer Moore’s goal, Keane added: “Nothing wrong with it, keep it simple. I definitely think he’s had an issue with some confidence over the last few months.
“Great to see him back there with a spring in his step. He’ll certainly go back to United hopefully in a better frame of mind.”
Keane’s assessment of James is fair. He has looked low on confidence for a while now, and has struggled to replicate the form he showed in his early United games.
But last night was a big step in the right direction.
He had four shots – only Gareth Bale took more from either team – two of which were on target, including that wonder goal.
His assist was one of two key passes on the night and he whipped in three accurate crosses (which was the most of any player involved) as he was WhoScored’s star man.
As Keane says, hopefully that means he returns to United with greater confidence, ready to bring his international form to the club game.
- Ten Hag interested in signing £25m midfielder for Manchester United, could turn him into big star
- Manchester United target Antony tells Ajax he won't return until August amid £69m reports
- 'Like a shark'… Erik ten Hag raved about £70m player Manchester United are set to sign
- 'Agreement is there': Director says 22-year-old's move to Manchester United could be 'imminent'
- Two-time international who made debut under Rangnick signs new long-term Manchester United contract
- Erik ten Hag has brought the good feeling back to Manchester United already
- Manchester United said to have walked away from transfer move
- Two top right wing options Manchester United could sign for under £35 million, including Champions League winner
- David de Gea sends message to fans after first training session under Erik ten Hag