Rashford congratulates Henderson on making England debut
Dean Henderson was a half-time substitute for England in the 3-0 friendly win over Ireland.
This was Henderson’s overdue England debut. The goalkeeper did not let the Three Lions down.
At one stage it appeared as though Henderson might go through the half without having a touch, such was England’s dominance.
But Ireland did break through on a couple of occasions as the second half went on and Henderson was called into making two saves.
He stood up to the test and passed it. Henderson wrote on social media that his England debut was a ‘dream come true’.
Henderson received a response from United teammate Marcus Rashford, who was not part of the squad after pulling out.
Henderson was famously in the Old Trafford crowd celebrating when Rashford made his United debut in 2016.
It has been a long road to the top for Henderson, who has successfully negotiated various loans, and is currently competing for a place at United.
Henderson was able to share the occasion with United teammate and captain Harry Maguire.
While it is difficult to dislodge De Gea, shifting Jordan Pickford aside to win the England number one spot looks a lot more achievable.
Henderson may need regular football to do it, and that is the conundrum. The goalkeeper has the talent to be England’s best, and last night showed it.
- What channel is Brentford v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend