Rangnick offers fitness update on Ronaldo and three other United players
Ralf Rangnick has conducted his press conference ahead of Manchester United’s trip to Villa Park to face Aston Villa tomorrow evening.
Rangnick faced reporters at 1pm and the briefing was streamed live on United’s official app. He was asked about the players who missed Monday night’s 1-0 win over the same opponents, including Cristiano Ronaldo.
The German had good news, and said he expects Ronaldo, as well as captain Harry Maguire, Jadon Sancho and Phil Jones to be fit for the trip to Villa Park.
Ronaldo offered an injury update earlier in the week, and all the signs are that he will be back fit for the clash with Steven Gerrard’s side.
“I think they [Cristiano Ronaldo, Sancho, Maguire & Jones] will be available,” said Rangnick.
“They only trained yesterday for the first time – Cristiano yesterday, Harry I think the day before. As it seems right now they should be available for tomorrow.
“We have to wait for the final training session this afternoon, but they should be okay.”
United’s team performance was unconvincing against Villa in the FA Cup and improvement is needed if morale and confidence is to increase after this game.
Ronaldo should help with that, although the conundrum for Rangnick is balancing the Portuguese superstar with Edinson Cavani and the other fowards United have.
Marcus Rashford has come under fire after his Monday night performance and Rangnick’s increased options may allow him to take the England international out of the side at Villa.
Ronaldo’s return should help, but there will also be onus on Maguire if he does return to improve his form after a tricky start to the season.
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub