Rafael da Silva had a bittersweet return to Old Trafford with Istanbul Basaksehir.
The 30-year-old was on the wrong end of a 4-1 drubbing as Manchester United turned on the style in a big Champions League win.
Rafael was also denied an ovation from fans, with supporters not in attendance. At the final whistle he had a warm embrace with United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
The former United title winner savoured the occasion despite the defeat and sent a message after the game wishing the club well.
Rafael was unable to prevent fellow Brazilian Alex Telles doing damage from United’s left side, while Anthony Martial also kept him busy.
Istanbul have plenty to play for in the competition still. They face RB Leipzig next week hoping to spring another surprise.
If United can beat PSG at Old Trafford next week, it is likely to set up a showdown in the final game between the French champions and Istanbul for the Europa League spot.
- Donny van de Beek can prove he is ready for Manchester United superstardom this weekend
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Liverpool
- Solskjaer praises development of full backs Shaw and Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer has reportedly rejected loan bids for van de Beek, Tuanzebe and Williams
- Cavani is finally bringing success to Manchester United’s number 7 shirt
- Loan for Facundo Pellistri can work if it fast-tracks his United success
- Fred’s late battling shows why he is so important to United
- Mark Lawrenson is expecting Manchester United to beat Liverpool
- Amad Diallo’s Manchester United debut is looking more and more likely
- Three Portugal based players Manchester United should be monitoring