Predicted Manchester United XI v RB Leipzig
Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been busy planning ahead of tonight’s showdown with RB Leipzig.
United need at least a draw to progress to the knockout phase.
Let’s get right into it and address why we believe where Solskjaer will stand on the important line-up decisions…
De Gea over Henderson: There is a strong case for both goalkeepers and Henderson could get in if De Gea is not 100 per cent.
Solskjaer really believes in De Gea, selecting him in all three semi-finals last season. When push comes to shove, he will go with experience again tonight.
3-4-1-2 formation: United need just a draw tonight, so Solskjaer will set the team up to be hard to beat. The formation has served United well in the past, including PSG away.
A lack of forward options with Martial and Cavani out injured also diminishes United’s ability to go with a 4-2-3-1.
Luke Shaw in: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants players he can trust and he believes in Shaw more than most. Playing this formation still allows him to select Alex Telles, while also selecting a fit again Shaw.
Pogba and McTominay in the middle: Pogba’s selection is a controversial one after his agent’s disrespectful comments.
United however have a game to win, and Solskjaer has shown consistently that he won’t be drawn into any furore over Pogba and his future. Expect him to shut out the noise and play the Frenchman.
There is a case for Nemanja Matic in here too, but McTominay offers a little more in terms of pace and ability to get up and down the pitch.
- 'He is a giant'… Erik ten Hag says he can't wait to work with Manchester United star
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee wins fans player of the year
- New United boss Ten Hag picks out the one Ajax player he is 'extremely grateful' for
- 15-year-old whizkid Manchester United signed from Arsenal makes first under-18s start
- 'I am not going': Erik ten Hag makes vow Manchester United fans will love, set to avoid Van Gaal error
- 'Disaster'… Manchester United loanee criticised after yet another injury
- Portugal international waiting on offer from Manchester United as Barcelona make move
- Manchester United eye cut-price move for £32m Champions League winner to partner De Jong
- 17-goal wonderkid, La Masia graduate: 3 FA Youth Cup winners Man Utd should loan out this summer
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'