Manchester United’s season is just days away from kicking off. On Saturday the Red Devils host Crystal Palace.
This ‘winnable game’ is also a fixture United lost 2-1 last season, back in August 2019, so United cannot underestimate Palace.
Palace also pushed us hard at Selhurst Park back in July, even though we came out on top, winning 2-0.
How will United line up?
United will likely go with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s preferred 4-2-3-1 formation and several big names will return to the side after missing the weekend’s friendly against Aston Villa.
We would expect Anthony Martial, Bruno Fernandes, Paul Pogba and Nemanja Matic, and Aaron Wan-Bissaka all to return to the team.
Pogba returned to training last week, with Fernandes among a group of players on international duty last week who were back at Carrington on Monday.
Goalkeeper and centre-back
The big talking point ahead of the game will be David de Gea or Dean Henderson, who played well at the weekend.
It is most likely Solskjaer goes with the known quantity of De Gea, while Henderson has an EFL Cup match days later to stake his claim.
There is a case for Eric Bailly to start at centre-back, but if we are being asked ‘what will Solskjaer do?’ then we would expect him to go with Victor Lindelof alongside Harry Maguire.
Fitting Donny van de Beek in
This is a little bit of a controversial call, but we expect Donny van de Beek could get selected on the right.
United could decide to take Mason Greenwood out of the spotlight and start the teenager on the bench.
Dan James’ lively yet erratic performance in the friendly at the weekend shows he is far from an ideal solution.
Van de Beek played well at the weekend and he is an intelligent player, capable of filling in on the right for one game.
The objective is to get the Dutchman close to the opposition penalty area, and getting him into the same side as Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba makes for a dangerous combination.
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Luton Town
- Joe Hugill gets off to perfect start with brace for United’s under-18s side
- Report: Manchester United resigned to keeping injured Phil Jones
- Report: Alex Telles hoping to seal Manchester United move
- Key points from Evra’s Instagram video about the state of affairs at Manchester United
- Wilfried Zaha should have taught United a lesson over Dan James
- James Garner’s loan move to Watford is a bold choice
- Angel Gomes impresses in debut for Boavista after quitting United
- Paul Pogba’s performance puts his place in doubt v Brighton