Predicted Manchester United line-up v Watford
In the week a door closed on one chance of silverware, another opens for Manchester United.
United have another home fixture, against a Watford side who sit sixth in the Championship.
United beat Watford 3-0 at home last season and will be confident of a win even with a rotated line up.
Many changes are expected, and we are forecasting nine in total. So to make things easier, lets look first at the two players likely to retain their places…
Dean Henderson: This will be two starts in a week for Henderson and his second ever game at Old Trafford. He is United’s cup goalkeeper and should retain his place.
Victor Lindelof: Eric Bailly must be saved for a more physical battle at Burnley, and Lindelof needs to pick up his sharpness after a short stint out with injury.
The nine players coming in
To partner Lindelof at the back Axel Tuanzebe should come in for his first start of 2021.
Alex Telles will also likely be in at left-back, while Timothy Fosu-Mensah may get a rare start at right-back, although Brandon Williams will also be in contention.
Nemanja Matic will be required to give some solidity to the United midfield while all four players who started in midweek will sit out.
Donny van de Beek should get the start alongside Matic, with Jesse Lingard and Juan Mata both making rare starts in midfield too.
This midfield set up is similar to the ones used in the early Carabao Cup rounds, and United were able to get through those without conceding a goal.
Dan James is likely to start too, with Mason Greenwood getting an opportunity as a striker, with Edinson Cavani serving the last of his three-game ban.
Odion Ighalo will be on the bench and should come on in the second half for what could be a farewell appearance ahead of his loan deal ending at the end of the month.
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend
- Report: £63m Manchester United target's fiancee 'desperate' to stay put
- 'Could be good for United'… French expert says £19m star could thrive under Ten Hag
- £35m star's possible Manchester United move spells trouble for two Red Devils stars