Predicted Manchester United line-up v Roma
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer spoke at his press conference this week about the challenge ahead in the Europa League semi-final second leg.
Solskjaer referred to Roma’s famous comeback against Barcelona from 4-1 down as a warning to to underestimate the Italians.
But if he was thinking about playing a full strength side, he may have to think again.
A newly revised Premier League fixture list sets up a hectic schedule for United next week.
United play Aston Villa away on Sunday, before home games versus Leicester on Tuesday and Liverpool on Thursday.
The Leicester game is a pivotal one, with United able to lock up second place with a win.
So there could be extra rotation for Sunday’s game at Aston Villa.
This will still mean a fairly strong team tonight for United, but Solskjaer will be intending to mitigate this by using all five of his substitutes.
Who will start against Roma?
Solskjaer will want to get the balance right, and key players Paul Pogba, Marcus Rashford, and Bruno Fernandes will all likely start.
In an ideal scenario United would be 2-0 up after 60 minutes and he could afford to take all three off.
Edinson Cavani may get a rest, and Mason Greenwood would lead the line amd play his 100th game for the club.
In midfield this is a chance to rest Scott McTominay and give Nemanja Matic a game.
Eric Bailly and Alex Telles will come into defence as they have done for other Europa League games this season including the away tie against Real Sociedad. David de Gea will feature in goal.
What does this mean for the Villa fixture?
United would bring Dean Henderson, Luke Shaw, Harry Maguire, Scott McTominay and Edinson Cavani all back in for the Villa game.
While Donny van de Beek and possibly even Amad – or Dan James if he is passed fit – could help rotation in attack.
If Pogba and Rashford are needed for just 45 of 60 minutes, then their chances of featuring as starters against Villa are enhanced. If possible, United would be sensible to hold them out for the Leicester tie.
- 17-goal wonderkid, La Masia graduate: 3 FA Youth Cup winners Man Utd should loan out this summer
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder
- 'Every detail'… Erik ten Hag says he has a 'good feeling' about Manchester United
- 17-year-old wonderkid 'expected' to go on Manchester United pre-season tour
- Ten Hag's first Ajax XI star gives 7-word brutal truth on Dutchman's Manchester United chances