Manchester United are looking to improve the squad heading into the 2021/22 season and there are various potential signings in play.
United’s midfield dilemma could be solved by a move for Ruben Neves, with Talksport reporting United are frontrunners.
So how could United look with these three players in the starting XI? Below is one way the team could line up. Bear in mind this is a team selection with Marcus Rashford irrespective of his possible operation, and including wantaway midfielder Paul Pogba.
Second XI with more changes
Below is a second XI with more moving parts. In addition to the triple incoming move discussed above, it includes right-back Kieran Trippier, who The Telegraph report is keen on a United move. He would split time with Aaron Wan-Bissaka at the position.
This team omits Paul Pogba. United would select Fred instead alongside Neves. His aggressive play could counterbalance Neves’ creativity in midfield. The pair also won the most tackles in midfield for their respective teams last season.
In this side we have also made a change in goal, selecting Dean Henderson ahead of David de Gea. At present it is unclear which way United will lean.
We have also taken Marcus Rashford out and shifted Jadon Sancho over to the left side, accounting for his operation and also showing the variance of attacking options United have.
Plenty left in reserve
It says a lot about the strength in depth United have that there are so many talented players available that we have not mentioned.
Victor Lindelof is a top quality back-up in defence, while in midfield, Scott McTominay, Nemanja Matic and Donny van de Beek could also play a part.
In attack there could be a role for Anthony Martial through the season when Edinson Cavani is rested. Meanwhile young guns Amad and Anthony Elanga plus Dan James provide depth in wide areas.
United still have to pull these deals off, and Neves could be interchanged potentially with another incoming midfielder. But these teams are looking strong and should be very competitive as next season gets up and running.
- Marcus Rashford posts long emotional message after decision to undergo surgery
- Di’Shon Bernard signs new long-term contract with Manchester United
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move
- Manchester United friendly at Preston cancelled
- Rafael criticises Glazers’ failure to communicate with United fans