The deadline for Angel Gomes to sign a new contract has passed, with no confirmation one way or another which way it has gone.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told the club website last week that a deal has been offered to the youngster, and that he hopes he signs it.
Intriguingly, Gomes was not listed on the list of nine released young players by the club today.
Yet even with the prospect of him having to leave the club in a week still possible, Gomes was a full and active participant in training today, as Jesse Lingard’s Instagram message shows.
Lingard himself was not part of the 20-man matchday squad against Sheffield United, like Gomes, and will be fighting for a spot in a likely rotated side against Norwich City on Saturday.
What happens next with Gomes?
An announcement could drop at any point. This evening, or tomorrow morning, which could confirm Gomes will stay at the club.
It is possible a very short-term deal could be done until the end of the season, but it is more likely that he would choose an option to stay for three years if it is on offer.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be asked about Gomes’ status at 10.30am in his press conference on Friday.
If he chooses to leave, that’s understandable. He has not had much of a chance this season, and has not made either of United’s recent 20-man squads.
Even if he stays next season, he may need to go out on loan next season in order to play regularly. It could do him good, and then he would potentially come back to United as a better and more experienced player.
The Golden Boy nominee is one of the best natural talents to come through United’s academy in recent years. It would be a major shame if he left. Soon, we will find out either way.
- Josh King will be desperate to impress against Manchester United after January bid
- Extending Paul Pogba’s contract would be as big as any United transfer
- Mason Greenwood’s versatility means he could fill in for three players in dream Manchester United scenario
- It appears Manchester United are giving up on Jesse Lingard
- Three takeaways from United missing out on Jude Bellingham
- Why United’s Gomes response should be to target top quality young attacker
- Manchester United’s run-in is not as easy as it looks
- Solskjaer says Ethan Laird will join United’s first team squad
- Axel Tuanzebe out until September, says Solskjaer