Pedro Neto is a very interesting transfer option for Manchester United
Manchester United have been linked with a move for Wolves winger Pedro Neto
The Sun report United are keen on the Portuguese youngster, who is enjoying a breakout season at Molineux.
The report claims United would have to pay around £50 million to land Neto, although this is just an estimate. It could be slightly more or slightly less, dependent on Wolves’ financial needs.
Why do United want him?
United’s need for another winger is almost self-explanatory at this point. It has been a position of need for too long.
Facundo Pellistri, 19, will likely head out on loan again next year, and Amad Diallo, 18, is not ready either to start 30 league games. Dan James and Mason Greenwood are options, but neither possess the traits Neto does.
Neto is a skilful, tricky player who loves to take opponents on and beat them. This is sorely lacking from James and Greenwood’s games.
Having a player like this helps open up and stretch defences, creating space for teammates, making United more unpredictable in attack.
This season Neto has provided five assists so far, a figure only bettered by three United players, and this tally would be a lot higher if Wolves did not have striker Raul Jimenez out injured for most of the season.
Neto has also chipped in with five goals too, the same as Mason Greenwood.
He averages 2.1 successful dribbles per game, a figure bettered among the United squad by only Marcus Rashford (2.4).
His figures of two key passes per game is beaten only by Bruno Fernandes (2.8) and Luke Shaw (2.1).
Neto is only 21, and so what he is showing, appears to be just a glimpse of his future potential.
This season he has played on both flanks for Wolves, the left and right. This means he would be able to deputise for Marcus Rashford too, which would give United the option to play Neto and Amad on both flanks.
Price could be cheap
Neto at £50 million might end up looking very cheap, even though it is a lot to spend on a 21-year-old.
He would be an alternative to Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho, who is expected to cost anything from between £70 million to £110 million, depending on the German side’s needs and demands.
By saving anywhere from £20-60 million on Sancho, United end up with more funds to spend on other areas of the squad.
There is a need for a striker, a centre-back, and further additions in midfield. Potentially even a right-back too.
Moving for Neto rather than Sancho would give United greater flexibility to do other business.
- Star says Manchester United transfer is dream move, wants to work with Ten Hag for years
- James Garner sends message after first training session under Erik ten Hag
- 3 Manchester United players who will improve without Cristiano Ronaldo
- Ralf Rangnick may have already told Manchester United fans the reality of the Ronaldo situation
- Manchester United have just pulled off the signing of the summer
- Star is Manchester United's next in line to replace Ronaldo, and there's a big question
- 19-year-old has reportedly impressed Erik ten Hag in Manchester United training
- Manchester United target says he is 'just like' Ballon d'Or winner, learned everything from Ten Hag
- Manchester United have already brought in the perfect person to deal with Ronaldo exit
- Anthony Martial gives three-word verdict on training under Erik ten Hag