The Telegraph reported last month Manchester United are stepping up interest in Pedro Goncalves.
Pedro Goncalves was linked to United by A Bola back on January 4, and to blow our own trumpet for a moment, we wrote in December why he is a player the club should monitor.
Now it seems United are taking the player seriously as an option, and with good reason.
Goncalves has scored 15 goals from midfield in 21 appearances this season, with a further three assists.
The 22-year-old is starring at Fernandes’ former club Sporting, where United previously also signed Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani from.
The Telegraph‘s report claims United are interested in paying Sporting’s £51.7 million asking price, a fee which could be a bargain if he proves to be anything like Bruno Fernandes.
He offers United strength in two areas
The report in The Telegraph report United are eyeing Pedro Goncalves as an alternative to Jadon Sancho.
Sancho could cost double the price, or a minimum of £20-30 million more, even if Dortmund drop their asking price.
Of course in the long-shot event United are successful in signing Erling Haaland, then a cheaper winger alternative will need to be found.
Goncalves, also known as Pote, isn’t strictly a winger though. This was the role he played for former club Famalicao.
He would be an option for United on the right, without necessarily restricting Amad Diallo or Mason Greenwood, if this turns out to be their best position. He’s part of the puzzle, who can also play centrally.
The role Pedro Goncalves plays in for Sporting has been the same as Bruno Fernandes, the attacking midfield position.
If United can be flexible, and shift Bruno back into a deeper position, then there is room for both.
Likewise if United play a four-man midfield, which could also suit Donny van de Beek, Pedro Goncalves and Fernandes will have more opportunities to play together.
United need to flexible in their approach from week to week, and if they can do this, then there’s will be a big role for Pedro Goncalves at the club.
Fernandes is 26, and United have to be cautious about not overusing him based on the amount of football he has played over the past year. Just like how Amad Diallo, at 18, shouldn’t be overused either, too much too soon.
Pedro Goncalves, 22, may be the ideal bridge player to help the needs of both Amad and Fernandes, while getting plenty of game time himself in the process.
- Manchester United suffer predictable injury blow as Anthony Martial injury news breaks
- Marcus Rashford names ‘amazing’ Man United stars he chose as POTY
- “Spend it now”: Manchester United legend would splash £100m on ‘generational goal-getter’
- Edwin van der Sar steps down as CEO of Ajax: Paul Scholes wants him at Manchester United
- Top 10 Marcus Rashford Goals at Manchester United, Ranked
- Rio Ferdinand identifies one Manchester City player United must stop and how to do so
- Bruno Fernandes says Manchester United target can become world-class
- Newcastle believe Manchester United most likely to sign £43m star
- The three Manchester United kits for the 2023/24 season have been leaked
- One Manchester United player named in BBC team of the season