Odion Ighalo’s spell at Manchester United is at an end. The striker has penned a farewell note ahead of his loan stint ticking down.
United signed Ighalo last January on deadline day before extending his deal in June. This loan is set to officially expire on January 31.
Ighalo concedes his time is now at an end, and is thankful for the experience as a Manchester United player.
Ighalo netted five goals in total for United, with all of them scored in the Europa League and FA Cup.
Ighalo’s spell at United was like an unlikely fairytale. As a United fan, he fulfilled his dream of playing for and scoring for the club.
The lockdown cruelly ruined his momentum and his playing time afterwards was reduced with Marcus Rashford fit again.
Edinson Cavani’s arrival signalled the end of his first team chances and a farewell appearance never came.
Despite this, Ighalo’s stint will be remembered fairly fondly, as a player who came in, gave his all, and made a contribution on a short term basis.
It was better for United to do this than spend millions signing a stop-gap player, who would have prevented United from moving for Cavani this past October.
Ighalo’s announcement now allows him to focus on finding a new club before the transfer deadline, if a team can strike a deal with Shanghai Shenhua.
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans ahead of semi-final second leg
- Ruben Neves should be Manchester United’s number one midfield target
- Manchester United fans react to fixture pile-up
- Brandon Williams is in-demand and a loan move looks essential
- No free pass for Murtough on United transfers as revolution gathers pace
- New Manchester United v Liverpool date set, final fixtures confirmed
- Former United defender Rafael takes aim at both PSG and City after Champions League semi-final
- Elanga included in United’s squad for Roma, James out injured
- Solskjaer admits he still doesn’t know whether Greenwood will be a striker or winger