New academy signings Hugill and Pye pictured training as Manchester United u18s return
Manchester United’s under-18 squad returned to Carrington today, following the lead of the under-23s at the end of last week.
Among the players involved were two new faces, double signings from Sunderland Joe Hugill and Logan Pye.
Hugill is a centre-forward who has already played under-23 football and Pye a left-back who has represented England at youth level.
Hugill was joined by two returning young strikers, Dillon Hoogewerf and Mateo Mejia, additions in 2019 from Holland and Spain.
They both expressed how happy they were to be back in training.
Star youngster Hannibal Mejbri was also among the returning players, notably still with the under-18s despite featuring for the under-23s last season.
United are not going to push the 17-year-old too early and will want the midfielder to prove his worth all over again before promoting him once more.
There is no date yet for the academy season to resume, but United clearly want to get the players back together and training, after months doing individual and small group work.
Both mentally and physically it will have been a testing time for the young players, while for the two new signings, this is the beginning of a lifetime dream.
Here’s hoping to another promising academy season, and another year of breakthrough stars.
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace
- Dani Alves has given backing to Manchester United target with £340m release clause
- Manchester United still scouting wonderkid three years after Old Trafford trial, 2023 earliest deal possible
- 'It will not be long'… Patrick Kluivert raves about Manchester United linked Antony
- Lingard and Elanga lead reaction as young Manchester United striker announces departure