Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has been talking up teammate Anthony Martial.
Martial scored four goals in five starts after Bruno Fernandes signed at the end of January, and Shaw recognises the improvement in the French forward.
He says Martial has been outstanding in training recently and backs him to reach new heights over the coming weeks.
Shaw told the club website: “He’s got unbelievable talent and quality; he’s alongside Rashy in the sense that they can go all the way to being two of the best players in their positions.
“It helps a lot now that his partnership with Bruno has been flowing. They’ve been getting on really well off the pitch and that’s showing in how they play together on the pitch.
“They’ve been very creative. Of course, Anthony has had a really good season, but from what I see in training there’s still so much more to come from him, which is great for us as a club.”
Perfectly set up
Martial’s link up with Fernandes helped United to a derby win over City in our previous home game, with the Frenchman firing home after a clever free-kick assist from the new signing.
Now Martial is set for the double boost of Marcus Rashford and Paul Pogba returning to the side.
Rashford and Martial linked up really well early in the season, while Pogba’s creativity is a big boost, with the Frenchman averaging 2.3 key passes per game in the matches he played this season.
One of the other factors in Martial’s improvement was the arrival of Odion Ighalo, which has provided extra competition, while allowing United to rotate and utilise selection more effectively.
With Mason Greenwood ready to kick on too, United’s options in attack are healthy, and Martial knows he will have to be at the top of his game to keep his place.
He has 16 goals in all competitions this season and getting past the 20 mark should be a formality for him. It is just a question of how quickly he passes it.
- United youngster D’Mani Mellor says he has torn ACL
- A night made for Dan James sees him left on the bench
- Expensive midfield combination of Fred and Paul Pogba needs work
- Five reasons to be hopeful Jadon Sancho will sign for Manchester United
- Guillermo Varela reacts to defeat to Manchester United
- Manchester United fans react to Harry Maguire’s performance
- Mason Greenwood shows his annoyance after United win after his goal was disallowed
- A closer look at Anthony Martial’s performance
- Manchester United’s three best players against FC Copenhagen