Mixed fortunes for Cavani and Fred on international duty
Paul Pogba and Raphael Varane enjoyed a spectacular start to the international break as they led France to a Nations League semi-final victory last night.
Manchester United teammates Fred and Edinson Cavani were also on international duty into the early hours.
But there were mixed fortunes for the South American duo as the Conmebol World Cup qualifying continued.
Cavani draws a blank
With the scores between Uruguay at Colombia 0-0 at half-time, Cavani was brought on.
But the Manchester United striker failed to change the trajectory of the game and the qualifier ended in a 0-0 draw.
Cavani found it tough to get into the game, attempting just one shot at goal and touching the ball just 11 times.
Fred an unused substitute
Fred was a regular starter for Brazil in the Copa America. After missing the September international games, he has now lost his place.
The Manchester United midfielder was an unused substitute as Brazil beat Venezuela 3-1.
Liverpool’s Fabinho was preferred to Fred in midfield. Their win will encourage Brazil to stick with the same side.
Brazil and Uruguay have two more games left of the October qualifiers, with the final one facing off against each other next week.
- Glazers will sell Manchester United for right price, says Michael Knighton, who calls for talks with Ratcliffe over investment
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends
- 5 Darwin Nunez alternatives for Manchester United, including award-winning 34-goal forward
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss