Mike Phelan has thanked Manchester United’s supporters for their role in pushing the team to a win over Atalanta.
United beat Atalanta 3-2 thanks to a stirring second half fightback.
Match winner Cristiano Ronaldo sent a thank you message to fans for their role in the victory, and assistant boss Mike Phelan has followed suit.
Phelan sent out a message hailing United’s 12th man and urges supporters at Old Trafford to lift the team against Liverpool once again on Sunday.
Crowd responded to improved United
United needed the boost, and the players made sure they got one.
At half-time the crowd could have gone either way. Some supporters booed the tam off as they left the pitch.
United had created chances in the first half but had nothing to go for it, and conceded twice.
As soon as the second half kicked off, United set the tone and fought more intensely than ever, with Luke Shaw leading the way by chasing down two Atalanta players.
The crowd immediately responded to the intensity and thirst United were showing for the ball.
Marcus Rashford scoring an early second half goal helped a lot, and United could smell blood.
United and the crowd fed off each other, and Phelan is right to call on the support to be even more vociferous on Sunday.
The players will have to do their bit too. Liverpool will be an even tougher opponent and they come into the fixture in impressive form.
- Is Manchester United vs West Ham on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- 4-3-3: Predicted Manchester United XI v West Ham, Greenwood at 9
- Rangnick says he is happy with Manchester United star but calls on him to improve defensively
- Manchester United talent scores twice on under-23 return after loan recall
- Rangnick says Cristiano Ronaldo has a new injury and issues fitness latest on Scott McTominay