Mason Greenwood’s season has been a slow one to get going, and is finally showing signs of bursting into life.
Greenwood has now scored two goals in consecutive games, including the winner against Brighton on Sunday night.
The goal lifts Greenwood up to 10 goal contributions for the season, with six strikes and four assists.
Add this to his efforts last season, of 17 goals and three assists, and Greenwood has 30 goal contributions already.
Considering Greenwood is still only 19, his efforts are impressive, with 23 goals and seven assists.
For context, that’s more goals than Ashley Young (19) Marouane Fellaini (19), Michael Owen (17), Diego Forlan (19) all managed at United.
Greenwood has a good chance to end this season in double figures again if he can finish this campaign with a flourish and build on his recent form.
He has Bruno Fernandes’ backing
Greenwood’s performances have been lauded by United teammate Bruno Fernandes.
The Portuguese star told the club website: “
If Mason scores for us or not, it is important if he can do other jobs, recover balls, pressing, defend when we need it, make assists, create danger.
“So it is not important for him to score. He has to understand, he is such a young lad. Of course, every striker wants to score but, anyway, he will score more and more goals as the seasons pass.“
Greenwood has made fantastic strides as a young player already and his career is just getting started.
The next few weeks could be really important for him, with Anthony Martial out injured, there is a chance for Greenwood to stake a claim as a striker.
There is a good chance he is selected to start against Granada on Thursday, and he will be looking to net in his third consecutive game.
- What channel is the Chelsea v Man Utd Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career
- Carrick says van de Beek is capable of playing as a false nine
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea
- Manchester United fans react to Dusan Vlahovic reports
- Ralf Rangnick’s comments bring cause for concern for Luke Shaw