Marcus Rashford has extended his contract with Nike, say his management team.
The sportswear brand have also pledged a ‘significant financial contribution’ towards Rashford’s charity efforts.
Rashford’s agency confirmed the agreement on social media on Thursday evening.
How long has Marcus Rashford been signed with Nike?
Rashford signed with Nike when he was just 11 years old.
The Mail reported in February how the 12-year partnership was under threat.
Puma were said to be frontrunners trying to convince Rashford to follow Neymar by signing with them, with other sportswear firms also interested.
Rashford’s work with the community outside of football has helped raise his profile nationally and internationally. This has made him even more marketable as a figure who transcends sports, into the political and cultural sphere.
So Nike will be mightily relieved to have convinced Rashford to sign with them again. There are no available figures of the sums of money involved in the agreement.
Puma paid Neymar a reported £21 million a year and were reported to be preparing a lucrative offer for Rashford.
Sticking with Nike is a loyal decision on Rashford’s part, and that will be similar to his club choices.
Rashford is a Manchester United academy graduate who has 88 goals for the club and counting – including 21 last seaso. He will likely be signing a new Red Devils contract in the next 12 months. His current deal only runs until 2023.
United’s kit manufacturers are Adidas and this deal runs to 2025. They replaced Nike, who make England’s kit.
Jadon Sancho is also a Nike athlete
Just because everything is about top transfer target Jadon Sancho right now, it is worth noting the Dortmund winger is also signed with Nike.
Off the field Sancho and Rashford are great pals, and it ties up nicely for the sponsors that they could soon be together at Manchester United, which could make for some unique commercial opportunities together – as well as success on the pitch.
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance
- Pogba and Fernandes embrace at end of France and Portugal draw