Marcos Rojo is in limbo and Estudiantes' plan does not help Manchester United
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said in his press conference this morning that he has seven central defenders, and a potential move for Nathan Ake was just gossip [ESPN].
Whether Solskjaer counts Marcos Rojo as one of his seven defenders is pretty unlikely at this point.
Rojo though is technically currently a United player after his loan at Estudiantes expired.
But Argentine outlet Pagina 12 reports Rojo is determined to stay in his homeland, and prefers not to return to Manchester.
The feeling at this point is pretty mutual, with United in no rush to order him to return.
But his future does need to be resolved.
Rojo is under contract until 2021, and while United have an option to extend this to 2022, it is unlikely the club will take it up.
So the priority is to get him off our books as quickly as possible, which might not be easy given his high wages.
An unimpressive proposal
Pagina 12 reports Estudiantes want to extend Rojo’s loan until December.
This does not help United much, if at all. A priority should be to sell the defender on a permanent basis.
The only way United should accept this, is if a permanent option to buy can be written into his contract.
Yet with Rojo’s injuries meaning he only played one match for Estudiantes, they are understandably unwilling to commit at this present time.
The report also claims interest from Boca Juniors, yet again, there is no offer in with United.
Thin on options, United may be left with little option than to send Rojo out on loan once again, and accept a payment towards a portion of his wages.
Hopefully then he may drum up a bit more interest if he can stay fit. But even if we can raise a sum of just £5 million, the saving on his wages will make a low sale worthwhile.
At this stage it really is just best to move on and look forward.
- 3 Chances Created: Manchester United star outshines under-pressure Ronaldo in late defeat
- Striker Manchester United wanted to sign scores stunning volley to relegate Red Devils duo
- Manchester United summer signing provides 40-yard assist in international match
- Manchester United release new training pictures as World Cup winner returns, no sign of Rashford or Martial
- Referee appointed for Manchester derby, and it is not a good omen for United
- 'World-class' Manchester United star has best years ahead of him, says international boss
- Manchester United whizkid could be unleashed in new role for loan side due to injuries
- 'For the first time': Former Premier League manager leaps to the defence of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Report: Manchester United remain interested in signing star who has same agent as Ten Hag