Marcos Rojo comments after clinching permanent move to Boca Juniors
Marcos Rojo’s permanent move to Boca Juniors went through this week. United wished him well, after seven seasons at the club.
Rojo’s last appearance for United came at the end of 2019. He played one game on loan for Estudiantes in 2020, and another for United’s under-23 side later in the year.
Despite this lack of action, much of it down to injury problems, Rojo says he is determined to make his time at Boca Juniors a big success.
He told the club website he has a lot to offer and can’t wait to get started.
Rojo said: “I am very happy to be here. There were calls from other clubs, but I had already made the decision so I am very happy to be in Boca. Today I have to defend these colors and I am going to do it to [the] death.”
“It is a very important step in my career, a new challenge. I am 30 years old and have a lot to give, I am happy and very motivated to start playing, I already felt the affection of the people at the club and it is something very nice.”
Rarely let United down
Rojo’s passion on the pitch was always unquestioned. He pushed the limits as far as he could, and it was remarkable that he ended his United career without a single sending off to his name.
In the first half of the 2019/20 season he started four out of six Europa League games and played well, with United keeping clean sheets in all four.
At this stage though, it was important to let him move on, with Rojo simply draining the club’s wage bill as he was not in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s plans.
If he can stay fit then there is little doubt he will do well at Boca. The club’s website says he underwent a ‘rigorous medical’, so hopefully he will stay healthy and show why he is still regarded as one of Argentina’s top defenders.
January 2021 exits
- Max Haygarth to Brentford B
Loan made permanent
- Luca Ercolani to Carpi
- Ethan Laird to MK Dons
- Timothy Fosu-Mensah to Bayer Leverkusen
Permanent (£1.5 million)
- Di’Shon Bernard to Salford City
Loan extension to end of the season
- Jacob Carney to Portadown
- Lukasz Bejger to Slask Wroclaw
- Odion Ighalo
- Jesse Lingard to West Ham
Loan (£1.5m fee)
- James Garner to Nottingham Forest
- Tahith Chong to Club Brugge
- Facundo Pellistri to Alaves
- Teden Mengi to Derby County
- Marcos Rojo to Boca Juniors
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'