Dutch defender Sven Botman is a player in demand after an excellent season for Lille. His performances are continuing at a high level amid a tight title race in France.
Sky Sports this week reported Botman was high on United’s radar, along with surprise name Cristian Romero.
United were reported by The Mirror to have sent scouts to watch Botman in action in February.
Top performance as Ligue 1 goes to the wire
Botman’s Lille are looking to beat Mauricio Pochettino’s Paris Saint-Germain to the Ligue 1 title.
Last night they could only draw 0-0 with Saint-Etienne, although if not for Botman it could have been worse.
With one game remaining, Botman’s Lille sit in first place, one point ahead of PSG. A win at home against 20th place Dijon next weekend will clinch the title.
French website Maxifoot named Botman as the man of the match against St Etienne.
GFFN also praised Botman’s ‘amazing’ defensive work to keep a clean sheet, while SoFoot.com also praised the way he bailed his team out in the second half. The Dutchman blocked two shots to help his side gain a crucial point.
What Manchester United need?
Botman, just 21, has impressed after one season in Lille after leaving Ajax last summer.
He would cost a reasonable price, and if it still appeals to United, he is a left-footed player.
Data from FBRef.com shows Botman has won the third highest number of aerial duels in Ligue 1 among centre-backs this season (118).
Botman was in the news over the weekend with an interview with The Athletic, in which he said he would favour a move to England.
He said: “I’m lying if I say it’s not interesting me. The Premier League is something special. It’s the football I really like and that fits me.”
There are various ways United could go at centre-back this summer, with the position raised again as a priority after the way the team struggled at home to Liverpool on Thursday night with Harry Maguire out injured.
Raphael Varane is a more high profile option, and Jules Kounde an equally costlier one. There’s an argument for Cristian Romero after his strong season for Atalanta too.
Botman ticks all the boxes, and he has been a major part behind Lille conceding only 22 goals in 37 Ligue 1 games. If United had scouts watching him again last night, it’s likely they will have been impressed.
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance