Manchester United have been linked with a move for 20-year-old Norwich right-back Max Aarons [The Mail].
But before spending a potential £30 million on the player, United might want to take another look at another 20-year-old, Brandon Williams.
Williams has been oddly overlooked this season for a player who featured in more than 30 games in 2019/20 including three semi-finals.
The arrival of Alex Telles has obviously hurt his prospects at left-back, but even before the experienced star’s arrival from Porto, Williams was barely involved.
On one hand, a move for Max Aarosn make a lot of sense. On the other, it doesn’t.
Give Williams a chance first
Williams was lined up as an option at right-back, and even featured in the position against Norwich as a substitute in the FA Cup quarter-final last season, and away to LASK.
Right-back was the position Williams began in for the under-23s, before getting forced to left-back by Ethan Laird. But he is right-footed and the position is more of a natural fit for him. Laird’s injuries have so far held back his own challenge.
Williams missed out on an opportunity at right-back in the cup against Everton through illness last week. He might be due one against Watford in the FA Cup next month.
His lack of football has seen him linked with a loan switch, with both Newcastle and Bayer Leverkusen interested [The Telegraph].
Before sending him out on loan for the rest of the season and being faced with a dilemma on what to do upon his return if United do sign Aarons or another right-back, United should give him an opportunity.
Williams has played just six minutes of Premier League football all season, and his last action came for the under-23s.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka is certainly struggling at present, and United expect more from a £50 million full-back.
Before compounding this expenditure with more on Max Aarons, it would be sensible for United to give Brandon Williams a proper chance to stake his claim, because this season he has not had a fair crack.
- Why Dean Henderson won’t be leaving Manchester United permanently this summer
- Manchester United’s Dan James will be hoping for another moment of magic against Chelsea
- Amad Diallo showed a new side to his game against Real Sociedad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Chelsea
- Who is reported United target Gleison Bremer?
- Eric Bailly says Sergio Ramos is his idol
- Solskjaer says Martial is working very hard to improve
- Can Diogo Dalot play against Manchester United in the Europa League?
- 2 positives and 1 negative from Manchester United drawing Milan