Manchester United must unleash Ronaldo and Cavani tandem against Liverpool
Manchester United showed resolve and quality to come from two goals down to beat Atalanta.
Edinson Cavani was a second half substitute and while he did not get a goal himself, he was involved in United’s comeback.
Cavani actually got a touch to flick on Bruno Fernandes’ pass towards Harry Maguire for United’s equalising goal.
There is a good chance Cavani is rewarded with his first start alongside Cristiano Ronaldo this weekend.
Cavani and Ronaldo cause chaos
Ronaldo and Cavani have not had much time on the pitch together since the former rejoined from Juventus.
In the brief time they have played alongside each other, they have helped create mayhem in the opposition penalty area.
Against Aston Villa in the short spell they were on together United won a penalty. It was missed, but the impact was there.
Then against Villarreal, Cavani’s energy helped Ronaldo and the number 7 eventually struck a late winner.
Last night Cavani helped occupy the Atalanta defence while Ronaldo rose highest to do the damage.
When the pair are on together, they cause trouble. It’s hard for defenders not to be worried, by cause of their reputation alone.
As soon as Cavani starts firing, he has no goals in his last nine for club and country, defences are really in trouble.
The time is now
Marcus Rashford limped off against Atalanta. He may well be fit for the Liverpool game, but when Cavani is there as an option, why rush him?
The best course of defence is often to attack, and with Mason Greenwood ineffective against Atalanta, it could be time to give Cavani a go.
United can use some tactical flexibility to fit Cavani in. A 4-2-3-1 can easily adapt into a 4-2-2-2, with either Ronaldo or Cavani drifting wide.
Cavani and Ronaldo together can overwhelm Virgil van Dijk and cause Liverpool real problems this weekend.
And they are likely to get the Old Trafford crowd rocking.
Cavani has been used sparingly this season up to now. It’s time to make use of him more, and not at the expense of Ronaldo. Let them play together and they could become unstoppable.
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars