Luke Shaw sent out a tweet at around 6.50pm on Tuesday night, and it was just the start of a wild night.
Chelsea fans were protesting outside Stamford Bridge at the time against the Super League, and moments later, rumours emerged from Sky saying they planned to cease involvement in the competition.
Manchester City went on to formally withdraw, leaving the Super League plans in tatters.
And that was before Ed Woodward’s resignation from Manchester United was announced.
United’s official withdrawal from the Super League came just after 11pm.
Shaw’s message was the start of a crazy two to three hours of football news, with Liverpool players also later releasing joint statements against the Super League.
Here is a recap of Shaw’s message, explaining what top level European football means to him, and why he does not want fans to be short-changed.
Shaw became the first United player to deliver a really detailed response to the Super League, which shows his confidence as a dressing room leader.
This was exactly what United supporters wanted to see and hear, to see a player brave enough to stand up and show real conviction, and say what we are all thinking and talking about.
Shaw’s role here won’t be forgotten. He helped pile on the pressure, and it looks inevitable that due to the pressure from everybody around football and the Government, that the Super League will fall flat and be over before it has even started.
Now we wait, for the official collapse of the Super League. With teams pulling out, it seems untenable that it will continue.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to Luke Shaw’s impassioned message…
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance
- Pogba and Fernandes embrace at end of France and Portugal draw
- Paul Pogba produces another masterclass as France draw with Portugal
- Anthony Elanga’s rave reviews set him up perfectly for 2021/22