England’s journey at Euro 2020 fell at the final hurdle as the Three Lions lost on penalties.
The game had started so well. Manchester United ace Luke Shaw put England 1-0 after just two minutes.
Shaw’s special moment would not have been possible without the cross from Kieran Trippier.
England tweaked the system to bring Trippier in at right wing back and it paid off straight away.
Trippier’s cross picked out Shaw on the opposite side and it worked out perfectly with the United defender scoring his first ever international goal.
So could we see more of this?
Trippier was strongly linked with a move to United at the start of June, with Sky Sports reporting interest.
These links had gone a bit quiet lately with the Euros, and United and Atletico having disagreements over the defender’s valuation.
Trippier’s contribution in the final was a reminder of why United are interested and could revisit the desire to sign him now the tournament is over.
The Atletico ace was the only England player on the pitch to create two chances during the match.
His crossing ability is among his top assets, with Shaw profiting on this occasion. Edinson Cavani would thrive on his deliveries.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s crossing is one of the few aspects of his game which needs work and a little competition from Trippier would not go amiss.
Trippier’s ability to play in a wing-back role was also notable; United have done this in the past under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and this could be revisited if he signed. His cross-field combination with Luke Shaw could be repeated at Old Trafford too.
There are undoubtedly bigger priorities in midfield and defence and a move for Trippier could be dependent on player sales. But on talent alone, the right-back is a player who could offer a lot to United even at 30.
Trippier won United fans over with his performance and there were shouts on social media for the club to get the deal done.
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to fans after penalty miss
- Manchester United’s three best players against Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- De Gea and Mata send supportive messages to Bruno Fernandes
- United fans react to Dalot’s substitute appearance in Villa defeat
- Solskjaer comments on VAR, Shaw and Maguire after Villa loss
- Six things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to Aston Villa
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Solskjaer comments on Henderson’s display against West Ham