Manchester United fans react to Kieran Trippier's Euro 2020 final performance
England’s journey at Euro 2020 fell at the final hurdle as the Three Lions lost on penalties.
The game had started so well. Manchester United ace Luke Shaw put England 1-0 after just two minutes.
Shaw’s special moment would not have been possible without the cross from Kieran Trippier.
England tweaked the system to bring Trippier in at right wing back and it paid off straight away.
Trippier’s cross picked out Shaw on the opposite side and it worked out perfectly with the United defender scoring his first ever international goal.
So could we see more of this?
Trippier was strongly linked with a move to United at the start of June, with Sky Sports reporting interest.
These links had gone a bit quiet lately with the Euros, and United and Atletico having disagreements over the defender’s valuation.
Trippier’s contribution in the final was a reminder of why United are interested and could revisit the desire to sign him now the tournament is over.
The Atletico ace was the only England player on the pitch to create two chances during the match.
His crossing ability is among his top assets, with Shaw profiting on this occasion. Edinson Cavani would thrive on his deliveries.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s crossing is one of the few aspects of his game which needs work and a little competition from Trippier would not go amiss.
Trippier’s ability to play in a wing-back role was also notable; United have done this in the past under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and this could be revisited if he signed. His cross-field combination with Luke Shaw could be repeated at Old Trafford too.
There are undoubtedly bigger priorities in midfield and defence and a move for Trippier could be dependent on player sales. But on talent alone, the right-back is a player who could offer a lot to United even at 30.
Trippier won United fans over with his performance and there were shouts on social media for the club to get the deal done.
- New twist in future of Manchester United star with no goals in nearly 7 months
- £35m star is ideal signing and Manchester United have already made a crucial error
- Report suggests Manchester United could sign midfield star who's 'better than Pogba' for £42 million
- 21-year-old Manchester United ace set for season-long loan to Championship side after initial move collapses
- Marcus Rashford sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat, it's a new approach
- Incoming signing's relationship with star duo could help strengthen Manchester United spine
- Club begin talks to sign replacement for £20m Manchester United strike target
- £7m star now finally has chance for Manchester United breakthrough
- Erik ten Hag frustrated and ready to give up over Manchester United's top transfer target