Dean Henderson was a half-time substitute for Manchester United in a comeback win over Southampton.
Henderson was brought on after David de Gea picked up an injury in the first half when his knee collided with the post.
De Gea had conceded two goals in the first half from set pieces, while United’s wastefulness in the final third prompted another change.
Henderson came on along with Edinson Cavani, who swung the game with one assist and two goals.
At the other end, Henderson was assured and staked his own claim for a more regular role.
He did not concede a goal and was clearly feeling happy after the game after playing his role in a confidence lifting victory.
Henderson made two early saves to start the second half when Southampton began on top. This was one more than De Gea made in the first 45 minutes.
Solskjaer praised Henderson after the game while offering a cautious injury update on De Gea.
He told the club website: “H
opefully he’ll be okay for Wednesday, but we don’t know.
Let’s have a little scan or check tomorrow [Monday], but Dean came on and looked very assured.“
It is a compliment to Henderson rather than disrespect to De Gea to say that if the Spaniard does miss out, United fans will not feel nervous.
Henderson has a real confidence about him and has looked impressive in his appearances for United this season. This was his fourth game in all competitions.
It is only a matter of time before Henderson takes over and an opportunity like this could speed up the transition.
Henderson’s calm display was impressive and earned plaudits from United supporters.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to Henderson’s performance…
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose to Sheffield United
- Manchester United pick attack heavy team to face Sheffield United
- Former United star Shinji Kagawa finds new club in Greece
- Solskjaer is ready to build his plans around Amad Diallo
- Who is reported Manchester United target Christoph Baumgartner?
- Odion Ighalo did exactly what he set out to do
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Sheffield United
- Looking back at Anthony Martial’s hat-trick against Sheffield United
- Marcos Rojo has three offers from clubs as he reportedly negotiates United pay-off
- Dan James is back on Manchester United periphery but he must be ready