Aaron Wan-Bissaka owed Manchester United a big Champions League performance.
His red card against Young Boys had knocked United off course in the first game, the catalyst for a 1-0 lead turning into a 2-1 defeat.
After serving a suspension against Villarreal, Wan-Bissaka returned for this game, with United successful in getting his extra-game ban reduced.
Thankfully for United. Wan-Bissaka stepped up against Atalanta and was United’s best defender on the night.
This applied to his performance at both ends. Wan-Bissaka was confident in attack, making the right runs and the right passes.
There was one moment in the second half where he pounced on a moment of uncertainty inside United’s penalty box from Atalanta’s attackers to make an interception. He carried the ball up the pitch and kept going, running 50 yards with the ball to get United upfield.
It was the kind of energy United needed, and moments like that lift the crowd and his teammates.
United spent £50 million on Wan-Bissaka two years ago and it was for performances like this.
With 89 touches he had just one fewer than Luke Shaw, and while he is still looking for his first assist of the season, Wan-Bissaka’s attacking drive was quite clearly evident in both halves.
Diogo Dalot failed to seize his chance in the game Wan-Bissaka was out, and United were a lot better for having the club’s number one right-back in the side.
Wan-Bissaka’s performance was appreciated by supporters. Here is a look at some of the comments on social media.
- 'Baller': Angel Gomes raves about Manchester United star who impressed him so much in training
- What channel is Manchester United v Young Boys on tonight? KO time, live stream and team news
- Manchester United add five extra young players to Champions League squad
- How have Young Boys fared since beating Manchester United in September?
- Rangnick gives further clues on how Manchester United will line-up, wants to see youngsters
- Ralf Rangnick says Manchester United veteran is not under first team consideration
- 4-2-2-2: Predicted Manchester United XI v Young Boys: Amad and Elanga to start
- 'He never had that'… Rio Ferdinand explains why Rangnick will turn Manchester United star into a top player
- Manchester United wonderkid rated highly by Bruno Fernandes and has 20 goals in 2021