There were so many star performances for Manchester Unied against Tottenham that Bruno Fernandes took a backseat.
Fernandes did not score or assist, but that does not mean his contribution was any less important.
The United playmaker played a key part in the team’s winner, with a pass to Mason Greenwood, who crossed the ball in for Edinson Cavani to head it into the net.
To describe it as just ‘a pass’ is to downplay the outrageous nature of Fernandes’ contribution.
He made a cheeky flick with the outside of his foot which went through Sergio Reguilon’s legs for a nutmeg.
Before Reguilon knew what had hit him, Cavani had headed the ball into the back of the net.
Fernandes’ part in the lead up to the goal did not go unnoticed among United supporters…
Officially, Fernandes’ nutmeg will be recorded by Opta as a ‘pre-assist’ – the pass to the player who makes the assist.
With 14 assists and 24 goals already this season, if you start adding pre-assists into the way Fernandes impacts games too, then he will appear even more dangerous.
The Portugal international came close to finding the scoresheet with a low, long range effort as United stepped up control of the game in the second half.
In the end United were simply too good, and the 3-1 win did not flatter Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side.
There is a 14 point gap between United and Spurs, and at times on Sunday it looked like it.
- Arnau Puigmal announces Manchester United departure
- Could Jadon Sancho end up as Paul Pogba’s replacement?
- Tom Heaton to United would bring his free agent exit full circle after angering Fergie
- Three reasons Manchester United should play Hannibal against Fulham
- Every trophy won by Manchester United
- Manchester United fans are the best, says Solskjaer, as he hopes for lift from crowd return
- Solskjaer says Martial and James not ready to start v Fulham
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?