Manchester United announce nine young players to be released
Manchester United have announced nine young players are to be released upon the end of their contracts on June 30.
The players set to leave were announced via the club website.
- Aidan Barlow
- Cameron Borthwick-Jackson
- Alex Fojticek
- Ethan Hamilton
- Dion McGhee
- Demetri Mitchell
- Kieran O’Hara
- Largie Ramazani
- George Tanner
As always, United have to balance a desire to keep talent, while also creating pathways for younger players, and being fair to young stars who just do not have a chance of breaking into the first team.
For Kieran O’Hara, Demetri Mitchell and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, their releases are overdue and allow them to pursue their careers elsewhere with a fresh start.
Largie Ramazani is the only real surprise nice on the list, with the young forward impressive for the under-23s this season, and featured in the squad which travelled to Astana last November in the Europa League.
PA’s Simon Peach reports: “Largie Ramazani was offered a new deal but is expected to join a second division Spanish side after failing to agree terms.”
No Angel Gomes
It is notable that Angel Gomes’ name is not on the list, although there is still uncertainty over his future.
United have offered him a contract extension in the hope he will sign and renew his deal.
He has recently been training with the first team but has not made any of the last two 20-man squads.
There has been no announcement of a renewal, yet, but the fact he was not named on the released list is a positive sign he may stay.
- Now Manchester United could sign Erik ten Hag's most reliable player after De Jong move
- Star set to complete Manchester United move once £5m bonus dispute with club is sorted: Report
- Deal close: Manchester United hope to finalise £69m De Jong move by end of the week
- 'Watch Love Island instead': Six worst/funniest reviews left by Manchester United fans on Paul Pogba's documentary
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out