Manchester United have announced nine young players are to be released upon the end of their contracts on June 30.
The players set to leave were announced via the club website.
- Aidan Barlow
- Cameron Borthwick-Jackson
- Alex Fojticek
- Ethan Hamilton
- Dion McGhee
- Demetri Mitchell
- Kieran O’Hara
- Largie Ramazani
- George Tanner
As always, United have to balance a desire to keep talent, while also creating pathways for younger players, and being fair to young stars who just do not have a chance of breaking into the first team.
For Kieran O’Hara, Demetri Mitchell and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, their releases are overdue and allow them to pursue their careers elsewhere with a fresh start.
Largie Ramazani is the only real surprise nice on the list, with the young forward impressive for the under-23s this season, and featured in the squad which travelled to Astana last November in the Europa League.
PA’s Simon Peach reports: “Largie Ramazani was offered a new deal but is expected to join a second division Spanish side after failing to agree terms.”
No Angel Gomes
It is notable that Angel Gomes’ name is not on the list, although there is still uncertainty over his future.
United have offered him a contract extension in the hope he will sign and renew his deal.
He has recently been training with the first team but has not made any of the last two 20-man squads.
There has been no announcement of a renewal, yet, but the fact he was not named on the released list is a positive sign he may stay.
- Bruno Fernandes is enjoying helping Anthony Martial shine
- Be open minded over a potential United move for Nathan Ake
- Incoming United addition Isak Hansen-Aaroen makes professional debut
- Victor Lindelof was not pictured in United training on Monday amid injury worry
- Fresh Jadon Sancho could help Manchester United start next season in style
- Harvey Neville signs professional Manchester United deal
- New Matic contract can help persuade Pogba to renew his United deal
- The stats which show Jack Grealish can be a top asset for Manchester United
- For Bruno Fernandes even to be compared to Eric Cantona is quite special