Logan Pye and James Garner among United prospects on England youth duty
Manchester United have a number of young players on youth international duty with England this week.
All will have their long term sights set on following Marcus Rashford, Harry Maguire and Dean Henderson into the senior Three Lions squad – after breaking into Manchester United’s first team of course.
There are no matches this break for England under-18s, 19s, or 20s. Instead there are training camps, and United have players involved in all of the squads.
Logan Pye has been called into the under-18s for the first time. The summer signing from Sunderland has made a good impression already.
Pye, who turned 17 a fortnight ago, has made a nice start for United’s under-18 side and provided the assist for Alejandro Garnacho’s goal over Everton at the weekend in a 2-0 win.
He also played for the under-23s in the EFL Trophy against Rochdale.
The left-back previously won five caps for England at under-16 level.
Will Fish joins Pye in the England under-18 squad. The centre-back has been a regular for United’s under-23s this season.
Fish has previously played twice for England’s under-17s, scoring once.
Teden Mengi is a level higher. He has been named in England’s under-19 squad.
The centre-back has been training with United’s first team this season on a regular basis.
Mengi has dropped into the under-23s to get game time, and also featured in the semi-final of the FA Youth Cup.
He has 10 caps at England under-17 and under-18 level, and was called into the under-19s during the last international break.
James Garner is United’s representative in the England under-20 squad.
The midfielder is on loan at Watford, making 11 appearances for the Hornets, and provided his first assist at the weekend.
Garner made his first appearance for England’s under-20s last month. He previously scored three goals in five under-19 matches.
His inclusion in the under-20s is notable because there is an exciting career opportunity ahead.
The under-20 World Cup is scheduled to be held in Indonesia in May and June next year, travel permitted.
Garner has a great chance to be involved as a regular and try and win silverware for England. The Three Lions won the biennial tournament in 2017, with Ukraine triumphant last year.
There is a chance Mengi gets called up for the squad too if he continues to impress.
- Surprise Van Gaal signing and 3 other former Manchester United players who played under Omonia boss Lennon
- Poland youth international trains with Manchester United first team ahead of Europa League tie
- Ten Hag's Manchester United have to bounce back like Sir Alex Ferguson's did after City trouncing
- 18-time international hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Manchester United teammate
- Omonia boss Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's lack of minutes at Manchester United
- 'Nothing more dangerous': Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Manchester United's hammering against Manchester City
- Manchester United announce 22-man travelling squad for Omonia game, new signing fit again
- Ten Hag press conference: Four Manchester United players ruled out of trip to Cyprus
- Manchester United whizkid needs to stop trying to score 'perfect goal', says manager