At 17-years-old just to be part of Manchester United’s first team set up is a dream scenario for Shola Shoretire.
The wonderkid produced a low-key but impactful performance on Sunday as United beat Derby 2-1.
Shoretire’s defence splitting path was the difference as he picked out Facundo Pellistri’s run. The Uruguayan rounded the goalkeeper and scored United’s second of the game.
Shoretire became United’s seventh youngest player of all time last season when he made his debut.
This season he will be pushing for more opportunities and he has the support of his team.
Shoretire’s sent a message after the game expressing his happiness at being involved. He was inundated with messages of support from his teammates and fellow under-23s stars.
Jesse Lingard led the applause, as did Anthony Elanga, Teden Mengi and Joe Hugill.
Shoretire did his prospects of more game time plenty of good with his 45 minutes at Pride Park.
He may get another opportunity next weekend against QPR.
The first team midfield is crowded, especially with the likes of Donny van de Beek, Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba among those set to return.
Hannibal played only 12 minutes after returning a day earlier and he too will hope for a runout next week. Lingard and Juan Mata may end up being obstacles to Shoretire too.
But if there is one thing Shoretire keeps showing, it’s that he won’t let anything or anyone hold him back.
At the age of 16 he was a regular for the under-23 side and scored 10 goals and provided six assists last season.
He is talented enough to fight his way through the ranks and the way he made a decisive impact in this match shows he is on the way to evolving into the player United eventually want him to become.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad