Manchester United are currently assessing James Garner over pre-season and working out whether he can be a part of the first team in 2021/22.
The young midfielder has to show United he is ready for the big jump, and one way he is looking to do so is by bulking up physically.
We reported in June how Garner was spending part of his holidays in the gym, trying to improve his physique.
The early signs at Manchester United’s pre-season camp suggest Garner’s transformation is beginning to show indications of working.
Garner was asked about his development on United Daily and admitted it is an aspect he has been working on.
The 20-year-old midfielder said: “It was definitely something I was working on over the last year and that has given me confidence to put this vest on today.”
It was a blazing hot session for United’s 27-man squad in the summer heat on their training camp in Surrey.
Garner played more than 40 games in the Championship last season in total out on loan for two clubs.
He will have learned the importance of physicality, and working on improving himself by getting stronger will stand him in good stead for whatever lies ahead.
There are four pre-season games left and Garner made a solid impression in the 2-1 win over Derby at the weekend. He may fancy his chances of getting into the first team squad for 2021/22.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract