Manchester United are currently assessing James Garner over pre-season and working out whether he can be a part of the first team in 2021/22.
The young midfielder has to show United he is ready for the big jump, and one way he is looking to do so is by bulking up physically.
We reported in June how Garner was spending part of his holidays in the gym, trying to improve his physique.
The early signs at Manchester United’s pre-season camp suggest Garner’s transformation is beginning to show indications of working.
Garner was asked about his development on United Daily and admitted it is an aspect he has been working on.
The 20-year-old midfielder said: “It was definitely something I was working on over the last year and that has given me confidence to put this vest on today.”
It was a blazing hot session for United’s 27-man squad in the summer heat on their training camp in Surrey.
Garner played more than 40 games in the Championship last season in total out on loan for two clubs.
He will have learned the importance of physicality, and working on improving himself by getting stronger will stand him in good stead for whatever lies ahead.
There are four pre-season games left and Garner made a solid impression in the 2-1 win over Derby at the weekend. He may fancy his chances of getting into the first team squad for 2021/22.
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break
- Bruno Fernandes’ creative numbers compare well with Paul Pogba despite assist gap