An interesting explanation has been given for Manchester United’s delay over signing Jadon Sancho.
Journalist Ian McGarry has told the Transfer Window podcast that Sancho has simply been waiting for a contract bonus to go through.
McGarry said: “It is our understanding Jadon Sancho’s bonus is two-fold in his Borussia Dortmund contract which he signed last summer.
“The one year completion of that contract is going to bring him 1.5 million Euros net, and a bonus if he makes 10 plus England caps, which of course he started against Iceland and made his 11th cap.
“That is the trigger point Sancho and his representatives and his family have been waiting for, in order that they can collect that bonus.
“United are very comfortable with their position, they believe they have a deal with the player, and with Dortmund.
“And it’s our information they have been waiting it out, until these payments were due to be made to the player, to his representatives and family members.”
This sounds like a logical explanation
There has been an information vacuum over the delay to the move for Sancho, which has dragged out all year.
The Telegraph reported all the way back in March that United were leading the race for the Dortmund winger.
However United have, on the face of it, made little progress over a deal, with Dortmund publicly insisting the player is not for sale, via The Mail.
Gary Neville even this week told The Mail that United should consider abandoning the club’s pursuit of Sancho, because it has dragged on so long without a resolution.
The explanation over the delay to the move fits with claims from ESPN that agent fees have held up the deal.
There is less than a month until the transfer deadline and United fans are understandably impatient and anxious whether a big move will be done.
BILD reported previously that Dortmund are seeking £108 million, but would be agreeable to payments in installments over three years.
United have currently made one signing so far this summer, Dutch international Donny van de Beek.
Whether this information turns out to be accurate, we will see over the coming days and weeks, but it sounds encouraging and this summer could yet end with United landing the club’s top target.
Jadon Sancho: Why Manchester United want him
- Sancho had a prolific 2019/20 season
Sancho ended the season with 20 goals and 18 assists, finishing as Dortmund’s top goalscorer.
- Creative star setting assist records
Sancho provided 16 Bundesliga assists this season. This was the most recorded by a Dortmund player since 2004/05.
- Sancho became the youngest ever player in the Bundesliga to score 15 goals
He set this record in his first season, breaking a record which had stood since 1967.
- Sancho has 34 first team goals for Dortmund
This is more goals at the age of 20 than either Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi had scored in their careers.
- Gets better as games go on
14 of Sancho’s 17 Bundesliga goals this season were scored in the second half of matches as he wore opponents down, along with 12 of his assists.
- Two deals Manchester United need to make big progress on this week
- Report: Lazio show interest in Andreas Pereira
- Watford fans react to James Garner’s performance on first Championship start
- Manchester United fans react to Nemanja Matic’s performance
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after win
- Six things we learned as Manchester United beat Brighton 3-2
- Hannibal Mejbri shows quality in under-23 defeat
- Why Manchester United should consider bargain Todibo bid
- Quick deal for Alex Telles would provide ideal chance for United debut next week