Odion Ighalo is setting his sights on an appearance for Manchester United this weekend.
United face Ighalo’s former club Watford in the FA Cup on Saturday. This could be the second time he faces them. The Nigerian is hoping he gets the chance.
Ighalo told Watford’s website: “It’s always exciting and hopefully it will be the second time I’ve played against Watford since I left. I can’t wait to see the lads I had such a good time with.
“Me playing for Manchester United today, they saw what I did with Watford in the Premier League, that’s why I have the opportunity to be here today, so my story would not be complete in my career, my life, without mentioning Watford.”
Ighalo came off the bench against Watford in February in a 3-0 home win. He came close to scoring after rounding the goalkeeper before shooting against the post.
Recently out of luck
Ighalo is into his final month as a loanee at Manchester United. It is fair to say the latter half of his spell has been a disappointment.
The striker has frequently struggled to make the bench and his last appearance came as a final minute substitute against PSG at the start of December.
Prior to this, his last appearance came in September in the Carabao Cup win over Brighton. This is one of two starts he has made this season.
Edinson Cavani’s arrival has reduced the need for Ighalo to be involved. However, the Uruguayan is serving the final match of a three-game suspension against Watford which raises the possibility of Ighalo being involved.
He has a positive attitude about it and seems happy he may have a chance. If United get through and have a soft fourth round-tie in the FA Cup at the end of January, he may get one more, otherwise this could be his last one.
Ighalo was pictured in training at the start of the week as he looks to help United out once more. Against City last night he was not on the bench.
United are expected to rotate this weekend with an eye on crucial upcoming Premier League games with Burnley and then Liverpool the following week. This is the kind of fixture in which Ighalo could come in useful.
- Charlie McNeill continues to make a name for himself with another winning goal
- Former United talent Largie Ramazani scores goal from his own half
- Paul Pogba and Edinson Cavani react to Manchester United win
- Dean Henderson has now kept five clean sheets in a row
- Fernandes sends message to Dalot after first league goal for Milan
- Mike Phelan reacts to United’s derby win
- United loanee Tahith Chong provides assist in Club Brugge win
- Harry Maguire raves about Luke Shaw’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial’s performance