Manchester United have been flying since lockdown and there are plenty of reasons for optimism around Old Trafford right now.
The victory over Aston Villa continued that momentum and United could have one foot in next season’s Champions League within just days.
Keep it going
United made it four straight Premier League wins at Villa Park and host Southampton at Old Trafford on Monday night.
A win there would mean that the Reds are a minimum of six points ahead of Wolves, with a far superior goal difference, with just three matches remaining.
That should definitively cut the Premier League’s top five off from the chasing pack once and for all.
Of course, top four has been United’s minimum target all season, but developments across town could impact Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on that score…
City’s UEFA appeal
UEFA have banned Manchester City from European competition for two seasons, but Pep Guardiola’s side have appealed against the ruling.
It must be expected that City will be barred from Europe’s top table for at least a solitary campaign, which would mean that the fourth Champions League spot transfers to fifth place in the Premier League.
While United are playing well enough to come fourth, but fifth could well be confirmed as sufficient within a matter of days.
A Monday night win could all but seal United’s Champions League spot next season.
United will want to keep pushing regardless and finish as high as possible and not qualify through the back door of fifth, but this would be a welcome development all the same.
- Why it is only a matter of time before Cristiano Ronaldo is offered to United
- Stevanovic indicates Manchester United move is happening
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Sevilla
- Who is reported Manchester United target Filip Stevanovic
- Have United made an expensive miscalculation over Sancho?
- Europa League glory would be pivotal for United
- Mason Greenwood sends message to James Garner
- Luca Ercolani makes comeback for under-23s one year after ACL tear
- Rumoured Pereira and Garner exits make it important United sign new midfielder