Manchester United fans welcomed back a popular number 7 to the team on Saturday at Old Trafford as Cristiano Ronaldo made his return.
Teammate Paul Pogba has another ‘7’ in mind as he increased his assist tally for the season.
Pogba provided assists for Manchester United’s third and fourth goals, setting up Bruno Fernandes and then Jesse Lingard after Ronaldo’s opening brace.
This added to Pogba’s four-assist haul against Leeds and then further one against Southampton.
Now on seven assists, he is clear in the United squad, with Luke Shaw, Raphael Varane, and Victor Lindelof supplying one each, and that’s it.
It shows how reliant United have been on Pogba for creativity, and how happy he has been to provide it.
How the rest of the Premier League compares
Right now nobody in the Premier League is coming close to matching Pogba’s fast start. Last season Pogba only had three league assists and six in all competitions. He has already beaten that.
On seven assists, Pogba is clear of the rest. The nearest competitors are Gabriel Jesus and Michail Antonio, on three each.
Mohamed Salah and Allan Saint-Maximin are among several players on two assists each.
It is still early days, but Pogba is on course to break records if he can continue like this.
The record for league assists is 20 in a season, shared by Thierry Henry and Kevin de Bruyne.
- Marcus Rashford looks in great shape as he steps up recovery at Carrington
- Cristiano Ronaldo pictured back in Manchester United training
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants ‘complete’ midfielders in his United side
- Cavani not ready for West Ham clash but will hopefully return next week
- Recent United target Eduardo Camavinga makes flying start at Madrid
- West Ham’s Croatia trip gives Manchester United a rare advantage
- Patrice Evra reacts to reports Cristiano Ronaldo moved home due to ‘noisy sheep’
- How will James Garner be affected by Nottingham Forest sacking Hughton?
- Raphael Varane’s freakishly unlucky Champions League opening game record
- Manchester United’s ‘What If…?’ moment: Jude Bellingham would have completed Red Devils team
- German press react to Jadon Sancho’s slow start at Manchester United
- Unai Emery gives verdict on Manchester United’s defeat to Young Boys
- Young Boys star says Solskjaer tactics made their task tougher
- Chong, Garner, Laird: Mixed night for Manchester United loan trio
- How has Angel Gomes fared since making his debut for French champions Lille?