Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made a big call selecting Dean Henderson against his former club on Thursday night.
Henderson let himself down early on as United conceded after just five minutes.
He took one touch too many in his own six-yard box and was made to pay as he was dispossessed and Sheffield United took the lead.
United won the game 3-2 and Henderson’s mistake ended as a footnote to the match, rather than the lead story.
To his credit, Henderson came straight out after the game and addressed the mistake.
He thanked his teammates for coming back to win the game, with Marcus Rashford (2) and Anthony Martial on the scoresheet.
Teammate Harry Maguire responded to Henderson’s message, writing, ‘great response’.
Henderson produced a diving save in injury time to ensure United got the win.
Maguire had a hand in the conceded goal too. The captain passed the ball back to Henderson rather than clear it up the pitch.
This was a result of a desire to play out from the back, but United did it a little too near to goal.
This was a moment to learn from, for Henderson and the entire defence.
With a Leeds side up next who are strong at pressing, playing out from defence will be asking for trouble, and United will need to change approach.
Most likely we will see David de Gea return for this fixture.
- Donny van de Beek reacts to Manchester United’s win
- Bruno Fernandes has three word message for fans after Manchester United win
- Anthony Martial has “rediscovered himself’ claims beaming Solskjaer
- Five things learned as Manchester United beat Manchester City 2-0
- Manchester United’s three best players in 2-0 win over City
- Juan Mata’s 90% shot-accuracy shows he could have Manchester United role during goal struggles
- Three things Solskjaer has got right and wrong this season
- How Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is faring since leaving Manchester United permanently
- Manchester United loanee James Garner has big point to prove this weekend
- Amad Diallo is the risk Solskjaer should be taking at Manchester United