Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made a big call selecting Dean Henderson against his former club on Thursday night.
Henderson let himself down early on as United conceded after just five minutes.
He took one touch too many in his own six-yard box and was made to pay as he was dispossessed and Sheffield United took the lead.
United won the game 3-2 and Henderson’s mistake ended as a footnote to the match, rather than the lead story.
To his credit, Henderson came straight out after the game and addressed the mistake.
He thanked his teammates for coming back to win the game, with Marcus Rashford (2) and Anthony Martial on the scoresheet.
Teammate Harry Maguire responded to Henderson’s message, writing, ‘great response’.
Henderson produced a diving save in injury time to ensure United got the win.
Maguire had a hand in the conceded goal too. The captain passed the ball back to Henderson rather than clear it up the pitch.
This was a result of a desire to play out from the back, but United did it a little too near to goal.
This was a moment to learn from, for Henderson and the entire defence.
With a Leeds side up next who are strong at pressing, playing out from defence will be asking for trouble, and United will need to change approach.
Most likely we will see David de Gea return for this fixture.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice