Harry Maguire is setting Premier League heading standard this season
It hasn’t been an easy season for Harry Maguire.
Off-field matters before the season started put him in the spotlight and when he was sent off for England against Denmark, he looked like a man in need of a break.
He hasn’t had one and his form has come together somewhat, with the criticism going quiet for the time being.
As per United’s official website, FBRef.com say no Premier League player has a better heading success rate than Maguire this season.
Maguire has won 88.2 per cent of his aerial duels this season, putting him top of the rankings alongside Chelsea’s Kurt Zouma.
He has won 30, which is the eighth most in the top flight, and his success rate is higher than in any previous season.
Next, on 85.7 per cent, is Manchester City’s big summer defensive investment Ruben Dias, who has played two less games than Maguire.
Maguire dealt expertly with Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s aerial threat on Saturday, in the type of game he was brought to Old Trafford to dominate.
Winning a high percentage of his headers in and of itself doesn’t mean Maguire is back to his best.
But setting the standard in the Premier League for perhaps the element of the game he is best known for is a step in the right direction.
It perhaps shows he’s getting back to his bread and butter; making sure opponents don’t get the better of him in the air.
There’s still more to be done in terms of dealing with more nimble opponents and consistency of performance back there.
But from where Maguire was when he came back from England duty last time around, the numbers indicate progress which should be awarded credit.
- 'He is a giant'… Erik ten Hag says he can't wait to work with Manchester United star
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee wins fans player of the year
- New United boss Ten Hag picks out the one Ajax player he is 'extremely grateful' for
- 15-year-old whizkid Manchester United signed from Arsenal makes first under-18s start
- 'I am not going': Erik ten Hag makes vow Manchester United fans will love, set to avoid Van Gaal error
- 'Disaster'… Manchester United loanee criticised after yet another injury
- Portugal international waiting on offer from Manchester United as Barcelona make move
- Manchester United eye cut-price move for £32m Champions League winner to partner De Jong
- 17-goal wonderkid, La Masia graduate: 3 FA Youth Cup winners Man Utd should loan out this summer
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season