Donny van de Beek was handed Manchester United’s captain’s armband for the last 15 minutes against Brentford.
The move raised a smile among United fans, who were glad to see the Dutchman given a moment of importance after a tough first season at Old Trafford.
United’s players also seemed to enjoy it. Even if Van de Beek put the armband on upside down.
Club captain Harry Maguire told him to make sure he brings him back the armband in good condition.
Teammate Juan Mata also made reference to the captaincy in a response to Van de Beek’s post-game message.
Could Van de Beek wear the armband again?
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said after the match with Brentford that Van de Beek is likely to start this Saturday’s friendly game away at Preston.
Nemanja Matic began the game against Brentford as captain, but he could sit out at Deepdale.
Scott McTominay will be working his way back to fitness, and United could give more game time to youngsters James Garner, Dylan Levitt, and Hannibal.
Bruno Fernandes is also likely to feature, but it could only be from the substitute’s bench as he has only had a couple of days training.
It is possible Van de Beek gets one more outing as skipper. It could end up being what he needs to boost his confidence and help him feel settled in.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice
- Uruguay negotiating to try and secure Edinson Cavani release for October international fixtures