Paul Pogba’s second half performance was one of the bright spots of Manchester United’s 1-1 draw at Southampton.
Pogba dragged United back into the game as he created the crucial equalising goal for United.
The assist was his fifth in two games and he leads the Premier League so far.
Match of the Day host Gary Lineker took to social media to applaud the Frenchman and his style of playing.
Assist record within reach
The all time Premier League assist record is 20. Pogba is one quarter of the way there after two matches.
The fact Pogba only contributed three last season in the Premier League suggests he is bound to slow down, and repeating his four in one game in the opener is very unlikely.
Nonetheless he is off to a perfect start and has a chance to get close to the record if he continues playing in this role.
Whether Pogba does continue out wide when Marcus Rashford returns remains to be seen, he is more likely to be pushed into a deeper role, which stifles his creativity.
Pogba would no doubt swap all the individual benchmarks for a trophy or two, but on the evidence of this match at St Mary’s, United could fall short this season again.
It is just one game and we would not want to overreact, but the team lacked a killer instinct and need Edinson Cavani back leading the line as quickly as possible.
- Conte may be a serial winner domestically but he hasn’t cracked Europe
- Manchester United loanee Dylan Levitt dominates in Dundee United draw
- Marcus Rashford sends message as he looks to fix Manchester United situation
- Three quick fix signings Manchester United could make in January to get back on track
- Manchester United youngster Sonny Aljofree celebrates meeting Cristiano Ronaldo
- Is a diamond formation the solution to Manchester United’s problems?
- Manchester United youngster Malachi Sharpe scores on Scotland under-17 debut
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message as he looks to bounce back with Manchester United
- Five substitutes rule change would benefit Manchester United whoever is in charge
- Manchester City out of Carabao Cup: Did Manchester United miss out or have lucky escape?