Paul Pogba took the well deserved plaudits after Manchester United’s win over Fulham.
Midfield teammate Fred’s performance did not get the same attention, understandable because he did not score a 25-yard winner, but the Brazilian’s display deserves praise.
Fred and Pogba were an unusual midfield combination who have not enjoyed much success in the past. Both players were determined to change that at Craven Cottage.
There was a moment in the 83rd minute which summed up Fred’s commitment. He was twice pushed off the ball by Fulham players as he battled for possession. He bounced back up both times and kept fighting. United shared the clip below…
If ever there was a clip to sum up Fred’s character on the pitch, this was it. It is his dogged, battling nature which makes him such a troublesome opponent in the way he never lets up or gives in.
The 27-year-old made three tackles and one interception against Fulham, and even created two goalscoring chances. It was a strong all round performance.
Fred’s effort is usually appreciated by supporters, and United picking out and sharing the clip above helped bring about some extra applause for his contribution.
Will Fred play this weekend?
United have enough good midfield options that Fred might be rested against Liverpool along with Paul Pogba.
United can bring in Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay and Donny van de Beek and go ‘all change’ in midfield.
This may depend on United’s plans a few days later against Sheffield United in the Premier League.
If Solskjaer does not plan on a Fred and Pogba pivot again against the Blades, one of them, most probably the Brazilian, could be involved against Liverpool. We know by now exactly what to expect if Fred does play.
- Solskjaer is getting it the wrong way round with Eric Bailly’s Manchester United games
- Why Dean Henderson won’t be leaving Manchester United permanently this summer
- Manchester United’s Dan James will be hoping for another moment of magic against Chelsea
- Amad Diallo showed a new side to his game against Real Sociedad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Chelsea
- Who is reported United target Gleison Bremer?
- Eric Bailly says Sergio Ramos is his idol
- Solskjaer says Martial is working very hard to improve
- Can Diogo Dalot play against Manchester United in the Europa League?
- 2 positives and 1 negative from Manchester United drawing Milan