Fred has linked up with the Brazil national team as he looks to try and put Manchester United’s bitter Europa League final defeat behind him.
Midfielder Fred was called up to the Selecao last month for the first time since 2018.
He is in Brazil’s squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador next Saturday and Paraguay the following Wednesday.
Fred’s involvement for his country is a personal boost to him after spending three years in the international wilderness.
Manager Tite told ESPN last month, explaining Fred’s call-up: “It’s because of his performances. The high level that he has been showing at United, a team that is runner-up in the Premier League.”
Copa America boost
Fred will be hoping he can do enough to earn a spot in Brazil’s Copa America squad. Few changes are expected between the squads.
The tournament will go ahead, BBC Sport reported at the weekend, and importantly for Fred, it will take place in Brazil.
The tournament was originally scheduled to be co-hosted by Colombia and Argentina. Colombia was removed as hosts amid protests sweeping the country, and Argentina has just gone into Covid lockdown, causing fears the tournament could be cancelled.
Despite Brazil’s own questionable Covid response, the country has been awarded the opportunit to host the tournament at this late stage, which is scheduled to begin as soon as June 15.
Providing the tournament goes ahead as planned, this will be a great opportunity for Fred, to establish himself in Brazil’s squad ahead of the 2022 World Cup.
United teammate Alex Telles did not make the World Cup qualifying squad, although will be on standby in case injuries or other reasons lead to him being called into the Copa America squad.
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position
- Former Leeds fan favourite spotted wearing Manchester United shirt
- Three reasons Manchester United should avoid Sergio Ramos signing
- Manchester United swapping Pogba for Ronaldo would not solve the main problem
- Manchester United’s Hannibal Mejbri can return from international duty a different player
- Scotland fans go crazy for Scott McTominay after performance against England
- England v Scotland: Two Manchester United stars have scored for Three Lions v Scotland in last 25 years