Fred featured for Brazil in their Copa America opening win over Venezuela earlier this week.
Add this onto his two World Cup qualifying appearances for the Selecao in early June and Fred has started the last three consecutive games for his country.
Having not been called up since 2018, Fred is delighted to be involved.
Speaking at a press conference this week, Fred is quoted by Brazilian outlet Lance: “I’m very happy with this chance, I’ve been working to get back to the national team. I will fight to seize this new opportunity – guaranteed.
“I’m very happy to wear the team’s shirt. For me it’s wonderful. My mother, my wife, my grandmother are very proud. I have to enjoy the moment I’m in.
“I have to do my job here and in Manchester so that I can continue.”
Fred has been benefitting from playing alongside one of the world’s top defensive midfielders, Real Madrid star Casemiro.
But as he explained, his role is slightly varying from game to game dependent on the plans of manager Tite.
Fred told Net Diario: “My role is primarily to run the midfield well, to give more freedom to the forwards.
“Here is the Selecao, Neymar for example, Richarlison, Everton Ribeiro, so that they have more freedom to play forward, to give them that freedom with the quality of the ball.”
Against Venezuela the report noted Fred effectively played in a linear midfield three alongside Casemiro and Lucas Paqueta.
In the qualifier against Paraguay he was part of a midfield two, with four attackers lining up.
Fred simply wants to do what he is asked, to earn a shot in Brazil’s 2022 World Cup squad. They are top of the Conmebol qualifying round at present and seem certain to reach Qatar.
A bigger task lies ahead with the Copa America. Brazil’s next fixture is on Friday at 1am against Peru.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract