Signing Jadon Sancho is proving to be a difficult objective for Manchester United this summer.
BBC Sport report United are reluctant to pay over £100 million for the England international.
United’s reported list of alternatives is uninspired. The Telegraph name Gareth Bale, Ivan Perisic and Douglas Costa as options, the youngest of whom is 29.
It makes far more sense for United to target a younger player if a deal for Sancho is not possible, and the club could find one for a fraction of the price.
Here is a look at four wingers who United could sign for £40 million or less…
Explosive Watford winger Ismaila Sarr made a strong if inconsistent impression in his first season in the Premier League.
He famously destroyed Liverpool to end their unbeaten run, and also drew a penalty from an Aaron Wan-Bissaka foul in Watford’s December win over United.
With Watford relegated, Sarr could be available, and at just 22, he is only going to get better.
The best case scenario would be that he blossoms in a similar way to Senegalese countryman Sadio Mane.
Sevilla star Lucas Ocampos is the oldest of this quartet at 26, five years younger than Gareth Bale.
Once touted as a wonderkid, Ocampos has shown signs of fulfilling his potential at Sevilla.
He scored the goal to knock Wolves out of the Europa League quarter-finals, one of 17 goals he scored in 2019/20.
Bayer Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey is keen on a move to the Premier League, switching agents earlier this summer, The Express reported.
The speedy Jamaican winger can play on both the left and right side.
Sky Sports reported this week that Bailey wants a move to England, with Leverkusen looking for a fee of £40 million.
The Mail reported in July that Manchester United were considering a move.
AZ Alkmaar winger Calvin Stengs would be worthwhile low cost punt for United to take.
Stengs, 21, earned his first Netherlands cap last season and is a very technically strong player, who can also play as a central attacking midfielder as well as on the right wing.
Last season Stengs scored 10 goals and provided 12 assists in all competitions for Alkmaar.
- It’s time for Jesse Lingard to move on, but £30m seems too good to be true
- Luke Shaw calls for Manchester United to sign more players
- Solskjaer praises Donny van de Beek as midfielder sends message to fans
- Manchester United’s season feels over before it has really begun
- Six things learned as Manchester United lose to Crystal Palace
- Confirmed Manchester United line up v Crystal Palace
- Teden Mengi could have early season chance to impress for Manchester United
- How Donny van de Beek can use Manchester United fan frustration as motivation
- Four reasons for Manchester United to be optimistic