Manchester United take on FC Copenhagen tonight in the Europa League quarter-finals and for winger Mo Daramy, it presents the chance of a lifetime.
Via FC Copenhagen’s Facebook page, the club’s players have been discussing Daramy’s obsession with United.
Striker Jonas Wind said: “He is crazy about them and loves all their players. He has 10 United shirts and wears them all to training.”
While left-back Nicolai Boilesen added: “‘I think he has a United shirt with Daramy 11 on the back. I saw him in it last summer down at the waterfront in Copenhagen. Hopefully he plays a fantastic game.”
This win or bust tie for both teams tonight presents 18-year-old Daramy with a dream stage to impress.
Back in 2003 Cristiano Ronaldo, the same age, dazzled against United and convinced Sir Alex Ferguson to sign him immediately. Daramy will be dreaming of the same result tonight.
So who is Mo Daramy?
Daramy is one of the most exciting prospects in Danish football. At just 18 he is already a regular for FC Copenhagen.
He featured in both games against Istanbul Basaksehir in the previous round, one as starter and the other from the bench.
In total he has made 52 appearances for the club already, scoring nine goals. He has netted three times in his last 10 domestic games.
Daramy was born in Denmark although is uncapped at international level. He is also eligible to play for Sierra Leone.
It may also be notable that he is represented by the same sports agency which has United defender Victor Lindelof on their books.
Daramy also made headlines earlier this year when he won the international Stay and Play cup on FIFA 20, BBC Sport reported, with representatives from Liverpool and Manchester City falling by the wayside.
On the pitch, Daramy is a tricky winger with a combination of pace and good dribbling ability, able to play on both flanks.
Winger is notably a position in which United are trying to strengthen.
Daramy is a player capable of posing problems for United in Cologne tonight if he gets the start.
Speaking to the club’s Facebook page about his fandom, Daramy said: “I do like Manchester United a lot. I’m looking forward to face them.”
If this is as close as Daramy gets to United, then so be it, but the Ronaldo example will give him hope it could develop into far more.
- Manchester United U18s return to action with dramatic 4-3 win against Blackburn
- Liverpool tie looks like Odion Ighalo’s last chance to play for Manchester United
- Pellistri and Diallo have versatility to both ultimately start together for United
- Donny van de Beek can prove he is ready for Manchester United superstardom this weekend
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Liverpool
- Solskjaer praises development of full backs Shaw and Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer has reportedly rejected loan bids for van de Beek, Tuanzebe and Williams
- Cavani is finally bringing success to Manchester United’s number 7 shirt
- Loan for Facundo Pellistri can work if it fast-tracks his United success